Proudly Geekly

Sunday, August 15, 2021

"According to Reddit"

 Any time I see a news article that cites Reddit as their source, I immediately stop reading. Reddit is a shady community of losers and bullies that suspends people for minor infractions yet allows others to hijack subreddits and turn them into bullying pages.

I should expect this, though. It's how the internet works for me. Other people can harass me all they want, but if I step one toe out of line, I'm SUPERBANNED. And Reddit superbans stick, because they know what they're doing. When it comes to keeping people away from their site, they're smart. But when it comes to stopping the rampant bullying and hivemind mentality, they're dunces.

I am so banned from Reddit that I can't even log into a new account if I make it. Sure, I can make a new account, and it will be there, with its New User badge. But any time I try to log into any account I've ever made, I get what I call the "wrong password" shadowban. This is where Reddit gives the user a phony "wrong password" error to keep them off the site.

And it's effective. I imagine they have not only my IP address, but my MAC address and other identifying factors. The only way to make a new Reddit account and have it stick would probably be to get an entirely new computer, and that's not something I plan to do.

Anyway, Reddit is overrated. They are the Portland of the internet, claiming to be unique but trying way too hard and ultimately failing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home